Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dec 22, 2009 - Salome to Gilbert, AZ


One word scribbled in my journal this evening: "Epic!" .... My first double metric century on this tour..... the day included waiting out a thunderstorm at a gas station in Tonopah, a teeth-rattling 9-mile stretch of washboarded dirt road west of Buckeye, and 3 fl_t tires.

Weather was a grab-bag:  Grey, low clouds and sprinkles of rain in the morning on the Salome Hwy, warm sunshine mid-morning; Around midday, storm clouds race into the Phoenix valley from the west, high winds, thunder, rain, and blowing dust....then back to sunshine by late afternoon...!




A strong westerly wind blowing me into Phoenix in late afternoon, the storm just ahead of me soaking the valley. 

Cotton bales in Buckeye, west of Phoenix

 






Long shadows eastbound on Buckeye Road
Late afternoon, the staff at the Visitors Center in Buckeye helping me chart a course east across the city to Gilbert, 60 miles away. Instead of holding up here as I had originally planned,  I decide to push on to Jeff's house; The wind is favorable, so GO FOR IT!.... Through Avondale and Liberty, Phoenix, Tempe, then Mesa.  Evening, I'm in the 'numb' zone....nothing will stop me now...not even the 3 fl_t tires I get before rolling into my brother's driveway. 

 While traveling down the Pacific Coast, I often thought about coming home to Arizona....I thought about how great it would be to see my family, and to spend the holidays with them. But until yesterday, when I crossed the Colorado River, and saw that sign: "Phoenix 153 Miles", I didn't really think I was gonna make it home in time for the holidays. Things just went right.....I call Jeff from a convenience store at 40th Ave and Baseline Rd...he says "Come ahead!".....

Photo of my bike computer showing 200.05 kilometers on the trip odometer; Taken 8:45 PM, on Gilbert Road, a half a mile from my brother's house

4 comments:

  1. Hi Doug, Glad to see you made it to your family for Xmas but sorry I never got to see you as you made your way down Vancouver Island. Wayne and I often talked about you and wondered how and where you were. Nice to be able to follow your travels and see the beautiful photos! Where are you going next?
    Take good care of yourself and looking forward to the next installments,
    Carole Waddell (part of the Scottish contingent).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't get your email address but you can reach me on Facebook,
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Doug,
    Enjoying following your travels: artistic photos and lyrical text to boot! Reading you makes me realize how close you become to the weather when you're exposed to the elements all day long.
    Hope you stuffed yourself with turkey over the holidays and feel refreshed and raring to go after the complete fill-up: family, fun, food!
    Stay safe and sound, Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nomads made it to sandiego! glad to here that the ride to arizona went well. Im a bit envios as the ride from LA to San Diego is smoggy and dirty with lots of cars. There are some great ocean vistas however. What are the plans for mexico? Perhaps we can meet down the road!

    ReplyDelete