Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oct 14, 2009 - Sayward to Qualicum Falls, Vancouver Island

A Stellers Jay has been shadowing me ever since leaving Port Hardy.....( could it be the same one, I wonder? )  Everytime I get off the bike, to eat, or rest, or pitch camp, there he is, perched in a nearby tree, head cocked, looking down at me.

Today, as I ate my lunch, he sat in a spruce tree above me, watching intently.  I threw a piece of bread out on the table for him...He swooped down to it, but then thought better of it, flitting back to his perch without taking any.


Spent two days camped at Elk Creek Provincial Park with a fellow traveler from Huntsville, Ontario - he was hunting Chanterelle mushrooms in the mountains nearby;  We shared a Canadian Thanksgiving meal together, sitting around the fire and talking about our travels.  Cycling the north part of the island was a pretty lonely, wet affair, and I was glad to have the company.

Upper Falls, Qualicum Falls Provincial Park, Vancouver Island
 
Following the Island Highway 19 south to Campbell River, then on to the Comox Valley and Courtenay. North of Parksville, I turned west on Highway 4 heading into the interior of the island, visiting Qualicum Falls Provincial Park, and Cathedral Grove, an old-growth forest of massive Red Cedar and Douglas Fir....some of the trees over 800 years old.  
Standing at the base of "The Big Tree", a giant  Douglas Fir, 76 meters high and 9 feet in diameter 

No comments:

Post a Comment